30 July, 2004, is the starting day of "North Vidzeme Waste Management Organisation, Ltd." participation in an international project of regional cooperation in the sphere of waste management - RECO. The countries involved are: Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland. The project is planned for three years and is supported by the Latvian, Lithuanian, and Estonian Environmental Ministries and Environmental Protection Agency of Sweden.
The project goals are the following:
• to help the local governments establish well functioning regional waste management centres;
• to enhance competency and knowledge in the sphere of waste;
• to help develop and/ or update waste management plans;
• to raise people’s awareness of waste management and waste sorting;
• to develop a waste management manual;
• to supply information on waste management ways and technologies;
• to stimulate investment processes.
The project provides the following activities:
• support in establishment of regional waste management centres;
• seminars and exchange visits about regional waste management and management of specific waste;
• training programme;
• support to elaboration and updating of waste plans and for cost analysis of waste management;
• support to development and implementation of an awareness raising campaign for the local community;
• waste management exhibition and other demonstration site visits.