Project title “Active participation of community and non-governmental organisations – a precondition for implementing regional policy of effective municipal waste management (Project No. LV2003/005-876/MPF/0003)
Waste management is one of prioritary environmental sectors. Both in Latvia and in Estonia waste management policy is based on the European Union principles, aims and objectives, which are new in the essence, therefore, to achieve them, active involvement of the community is essential. The activities implemented within the framework of the project will demonstrate how different groups of the society may be practically involved in environmental protection, thus strengthening participation in nationally important processes.
The specific objectives:
1. To establish and promote Latvian and Estonian NGO cooperation in participation in efficient implementation of waste management policy on a regional level.
2. To support and increase the number of cross-border meetings of various groups of residents, especially young people. Different activities are planned for students, including experience exchange trips involving several meetings, discussions, international conferences, competitions and other activities.
3. To raise society awareness of cross border activities and promote the European integration process by preparing and disseminating informative materials for the local residents and specific target groups on their role in achieving the goals in waste management policy.
4. To develop and enhance cooperation with local residents on both sides of the border with an aim to promote economic development and improve the living conditions and keep regular mutual contacts.
5. To protect and improve environment, including support to the local energy saving schemes and utilisation of renewable energy resources.
Project target group: non-governmental organisations both in North Vidzeme and in Viljandi County; schools (from Cēsis, Limbaži, Valka and Valmiera Districts); residents – mainly from Valmiera and Viljandi Cities; as well as local governments, Environmental Ministry and Valmiera Regional Environment Board.
"Balti Keskkonnafoorum" – an active NGO in Estonia with experience in promotion of cooperation and information of the community in different spheres of nature protection. Within this project Balti Keskkonnafoorum will organise activities in Viljandi County and will be involved in implementation of the project activities locally and participate in all experience exchange events. There will also be publicity events to promote achievement of the project goals. Internet resources: www.bef.ee
Valmiera City Council – one of the largest North Vidzeme regional centres. The City Council is responsible for dealing with waste management issues in its territory; it has experience in organisation of different environmental education activities. Within this project Valmiera City Council will organise publicity events, participate in resident discussions and experience exchange conferences, as well as conceptually support the project contents. Internet resources: www.valmiera.lv
North Vidzeme Waste Management Organisation (ZAAO) will be responsible for municipal waste management in North Vidzeme Region. The outcomes of the activities will be analysed to find the best ways for practical implementation of proposals for improvement waste management system in the region.